Tourist Information Office
Tišnov is set in a picturesque mountainous country at the easternmost foothills of a highland ridge between Bohemia and Moravia known as Českomoravská vysočina (Bohemian-Moravian Highlands). Even though the archaeological finds make it quite clear and evident that this area was populated in the Old Stone Age, the first written note referring to this place dates back to 1233. You can find it in the foundation papers of the Porta coeli Convent where Queen Constance sends the Cistercian nuns out to Moravia to a place called „Tusnovice“. The town was owned by the near convent in Předklášteří until its abolition in 1782.
The economic growth was many times interrupted by wars and natural disasters. In 1428 the ravaging Hussite armies burnt the town and the convent to the ground. The town was repeatedly devastated by many fires, for example in 1668. The railway was a very significant contribution to the economic and social growth which linked Tišnov and Brno in 1885 and twenty years later Tišnov, Havlíčkův Brod and Prague respectively.
Apart from Baroque houses, mansions and the originally Gothic parish St. Wenceslas’s church that was rebuilt many times, Tišnov can be proud of a couple of interesting examples of the 20th century modern architecture as represented by the town hall constructed in a romantic historicist style imitating Renaissance and rebuilt in 1905. Jan Köhler painted the coloured wall murals capturing events from Tišnov’s past. There are also a few fine art noveau villas from the beginning of the 20th century, the town hospital and the functionalist house of the savings bank built according to the plans of the architects Bohuslav Fuchs and Jindřich Kumpošt. Another example of the functionalist architecture is the house of the local painter Josef Jambor reconstructed in 1996 exhibiting the painter’s works a part of which he donated to the town. This house has also other rooms where short term exhibitions of other painters’ works are being held all the year round.
The International Exposition of Mineralsis held twice a year in Tišnov which has become famous for its rich sites of mineral stones. The hill Květnice or the nature reserve Svratecká hornatina (the Svratka hills) draw the attention of many visitors..