Loučky and Žďárec
One of the most striking and dominant features of the village Dolní Loučky is the railway viaduct over the valley of the river Libochůvka called the Peace Bridge. It is 300 metres long and 30 metres high. This is one of the greatest works of civil engineering on the railway route Brno-Havlíčkův Brod built between 1939-1953. The great arch with the span of 120 metres is the biggest reinforced concrete arch in the Czech Republic.
On a high spit called Hradisko surrounded by the river Loučka there are still quite extensive remains of the Gothic castle Loučka (sometimes incorrectly referred to as Střemchov). The original layout of the castle with the oblong core and the cylindrical tower with a diameter of 9 metres are still visible there. The castle might have been founded in the second third of the 13th century and was probably destroyed during the Bohemian-Hungarian wars in the second half of the 15th century. (in 1497 already reported as deserted).
The character of the northwest part of the Tišnov region is similar to that of the environs of Deblín. Only the patches of woods are more scattered here whereas the valley of the rivers Loučka, Libochůvka and their tributaries are in some parts deeper than in the surrounding of Deblín. The remains of medieval castles Loučky, Rysov, Košíkov and Vítkov show that there must have been an important guarded high road from Bohemia to Moravia. A few hundred years later a two-track railway was built on this place linking Tišnov and Žďár nad Sázavou; it resembles high mountains with its many viaducts, embankments, ditches and long tunnels railways.
At the end of the Second World War the prisoners of war from various European countries had to produce Messerschmitt spare parts in the tunnels of this railway which was under construction at that time. The factory producing these spare parts was named after the hunting Goddess Diana. The foundations of the prisoners’ barracks can be seen on various places in this area still today. Some of them have been converted to holiday houses, such as in the place called Kutiny in the valley of the river Libochůvka.
Anna Pammrová (1860-1945) known for her letters she wrote to the Bohemian poet Otokar Březina lived almost half a century in a secluded lonely house near the village Havlov close to Žďarec.
Anna Pammrová, an eccentric philosopher and writer, had her first log cabin built over the valley of the river Loučka already in 1899. She lived a very modest life in this lonely place in harmony with nature and with some of her ideas which were a few decades ahead of today’s ecological activists. The Havels, a family from Prague, had their more splendid seat built in this place a few years later (1907). The future first president of the Czech Republic Václav Havel spent a part of his childhood here.
It is simply pleasure to walk on the smoothly undulated upper plains near Kuřimská Nová Ves with old field road lined with flowers in full bloom.
The pond in Níhov is the only water reservoir which has been drawing attention of many holiday makers since the time between the two World Wars. At the beginning of the 21st century it was dividend into two parts: one used for recreational purposes and the other on is the „quiet“ part intended as the nesting place for water fowl.
Šafránek’s mill in the valley of the river Loučka below the village Drahonín was a place frequently visited by Anna Pammrová and the Havels.
The former quiet valley the solitude of which was interrupted only by the clicking sound of the near mills has been quite disturbed by the construction of further summer houses. The uranium mining also disturbed the pure character of the environs of Drahonín and Olše above the valley of the river Loučka. Despite this mining you can find silent places here even today, such as the romantic Trenck gulley below the village Drahonín where the former true servant of the Habsburg Empress Maria Theresia and the later highwayman Baron Trenck is said to have hidden his legendary treasure somewhere in the rocks under the waterfalls.
There are two charming old mills in the small village Skryje in the valley of the river Loučka. Mašíček’s mill is built in the style of the popular Baroque style with rich decorations bearing the year 1843 on its gable. Buchal’s mill dates back to 1820 and this year is also to be found on the gable of the main building.
There are many lonely and romantic places in the surrounding of the villages Katov, Rojetín, Kuřimská Nová Ves… One of the last classical landscape painters Josef Jambor liked to paint his works exactly from this place that offered him distant views of the surrounding country. His paintings prove that not only the rough upper part of the Bohemian-Moravian hills is worth capturing but also its milder outskirts in the Tišnov region have their tempting charms.
The Trenck gulley is as romantic as some valleys in the Alps or in the Carpathians.