The area of the present day Tišnov was already settled by people in the Old Stone Age and the archaeological finds made in the places Klucanina and Dřínová support this fact. The first written note referring to the existence of the town dates from 1233 in connection with the foundation of the Cistercian convent Porta coeli by the Bohemian Queen Constance in the immediate surroundings of Tišnov. Originally the town was a market village on an important high road between Bohemia and Moravia. After the convent’s foundation the margrave Přemysl donated the town to the Cistercian nuns and Tišnov remained their property until 1782 when the convent was abolished. Already in the 13th century Tišnov grew into a town which had a medieval character. In 1416 the Bohemian king Wenceslas IV gave the town a privilege of holding an annual market the same way he gave to Brno. The year 1554 went down the town’s history when the abyss Barbara Konická of Švábenice gave extensive rights and privileges to the town. The successful economic development of the town was often interrupted by wars and natural disasters. In 1428 the Hussites set the town and the convent on fire; the Thirty Years’ War was another heavy blow for the town as well as the presence of the French army in 1805 and 1809 and the Prussian-Austrian war in 1866. The town was devastated by many fires, out of which the fire of 1668 was the biggest one. In connection with the establishment of the regulated town council, Tišnov became a town in 1788. Until 1848 the town was the administration centre of the Tišnov demesne. The railway to Brno was put into operation in 1885 and to Německý Brod in 1905 which was a turning point in the town’s history. Since 1896 Tišnov has been a district town. In 1894 Tišnov was declared a town with excellent healing climate conditions and in 1899 a sanatorium was built under the woods called Klucanina and Tišnov became an attractive spa and the starting point for hikes in the picturesque countryside at the foothills of the Bohemian-Moravian Highlands. The town became the natural administrative, economic and cultural centre of the region.
After 1918 the town experienced an important further development. Behind the Sokol gymnasium and below the hill Klucanina there were built new residential areas, on the main town square the new building of the district court was constructed in 1929 (today post office and agricultural school), the functionalist building of the savings bank according to the project of the architect Bohuslav Fuchs from Brno (today Commercial Bank) was constructed on the lower square which is one of the important architectural monuments and a dominant feature in the town. The Catholic house was built as a place that should support various free time activities and a theatre with a big stage was added to the Sokol gymnasium. The new building of the grammar school, constructed in 1920 and the commercial school contributed to the development of the local educational system. Besides these achievements new roads were built, such as the road to Předklášteří with a new bridge over the river Svratka from 1930. The number of inhabitants rose to 4750 in 1937 due to the rapid building boom.
Industrial production in Tišnov and its environs consisted mainly in small businesses and smaller companies; one of the bigger factories was the textile company owned by A. Řezáč, followed by Müller’s tannery, Kopřiva’s paper mill in Předklášteří, Ant. Mouka’s factory producing ropes, the company Fulgur making various electrical appliances, a distillery, mills, brickworks and a few other smaller production sites. The economic development in the Tišnov region came to a standstill in the 1930’s when the town slipped into debt and had hardly financial means for further investments and development.
In the time between the two world wars Tišnov developed quite a rich social a cultural life. The town had a railway link to Brno and the bus transport was introduced after 1927 which interlinked the villages in the whole region with Tišnov in its centre. Many clubs and associations worked in the region the most active of which was the Sokol sports club that gave balls, organized concerts, musical evenings, theatre performances and operas staging besides the local enthusiasts also well known Brno artists. In summer 1934 the theatre company from the Liberated Theatre (Osvobozené divadlo) came to Tišnov with the famous actors J. Voskovec, J. Werich and J. Ježek. The local Czech hiker’s club inaugurated a lookout tower on top of the hill Klucanina and the famous Czech actor Vlasta Burian participated in the event. The lookout tower was done away with during the Nazi occupation of Czechoslovakia. The social events reached their highest point in July 1927 when a grand local exhibition took place drawing visitors from all over the region. A year later, on 17th June 1928 the Czechoslovak president T. G. Masaryk paid a visit to the town.
In 1939 there was a strong resistance to the German occupation of Czechoslovakia in the Tišnov region. Many resistance groups came into being in the town (The groups Sokol/Falcon, Defence of the Country, Group L-Z, which were legionaries and workers from the ammunition factory, and other groups). A few partisan groups were active in the Tišnov region since 1943 (Jermak, The Third Czechoslovak Shock Troop and other groups); some natives of Tišnov took part in fights against the Nazi oppression abroad, for example as pilots in England or in the Czechoslovak army corps in Russia. After the liberation, Tišnov counted its war victims: 18 people were executed, 25 were tortured to death in concentration camps, 32 Jewish and Romany people were tortured to death out of racial reasons, 25 people were killed during the Russian bombing on 25th April 1945. The town was set free only in the evening on 9th May when the Russian and Romanian troops came to town.
After the war and after the end of the German oppression the damage caused by the war was repaired and at the same time the construction of new buildings began. A new school was built in the Smíšek Street, along with new flats and roads at the end of the 1940’s and in the 1950’s and the second track was added to the railway line Brno – Havlíčkův Brod. On 1st January 1953 the independent village Předklášteří became a part of the town Tišnov together with other villages in the surroundings of Tišnov that followed later. In 1951-55 a new regional road was built linking Brno and Předklášteří with a branch road leading to Tišnov over a new bridge across the river Svratka, diverting the traffic on the route Brno – Nové Město na Moravě from the town centre. In 1957 a new swimming pool was put in trial operation.
The 1960’s brought other changes. On 1st January 1960 the former Tišnov district was abolished and the town became a part of the administrative area Brno-venkov (Brno-country) The uranium deposits found in the Bohemian-Moravian Highlands were very important for the further development of the Tišnov region. A new housing estate was built for workers from the uranium mines below the hill Klucanina, the construction of another housing estate called Humpolka started at the end of the 1960’s, the railway line Brno-Havlíčkův Brod was electrified in 1966 and in 1969 the first houses began to be supplied with gas. In 1970 the town Tišnov had 8263 inhabitants.
A further housing estate was built under the hill Květnice in the 1970’s and 1980’s followed by a new school on the 28th October Square, a sports hall, a ski lift on the hill Klínek, a car club near the swimming pool, a few kindergartens and shops. On the 1st July 1980 another 6 villages (Hradčany, Štěpánovice, Lomnička and other) became parts of Tišnov and the new integrated town Tišnov had 12022 inhabitants on the same day. In 1972 a stalactite cave, was found on the hill Květnice which was named after a Tišnov speleologist Král. Since 1976 Tišnov has been regularly organizing international mineral show. that have gained a worldwide reputation. There were also some cultural events that are worth mentioning such as the exhibitions organized by the club Friends of the Arts, theatre performance of the local Karas Theatre; important sports events included the marathon called Tišnovská padesátka (Fifty kilometres around Tišnov), the Bohemian-Moravian Highlands car rally, there were European championships in volleyball, indoor cycling held in the sports hall and many other events.
The 1990’s constitute the last period in Tišnov’s history. The town is again managed by the town council with the mayor at the head of the municipality. The local firms and businesses have been privatized again, the whole town has got a new look with its repaired pavements and house fronts. Most of the villages that became parts of Tišnov in the Communist era decided to manage their affairs themselves and set up their own local councils again so that the number of inhabitants dropped to 8500. All the efforts to re-establish the Tišnov district have been vain; however after the reform of the government Tišnov is expected to become a constituency centre which will open new perspectives of the development of the whole Tišnov region.