St. Wenceslas’s Church
St. Wenceslas’s church is a one-aisle building standing on the eastern edge of the historic centre of the town. The first written note referring to this structure dates back to the 13th century in connection with the patronage privilege given to it by the convent Porta Coeli. The originally Gothic church was adapted and reconstructed many times after numerous fires devastated the town. The oldest parts of the today’s form of the church date from the 15th century. The bulky prismatic 51 metre high tower in the late Gothic style was added to the western front of the church in the first half of the 16th century. The time of the tower construction is evidenced by a Latin writing on its front with the year 1543. The most complex reconstruction took place in 1838-1839 when the nave was extended and the church was linked to the tower. In front of the church there are fortification remains with embrasures that have been preserved till today. Around the church there was originally an old parish graveyard that was used as a burial place until 1836. After the construction of the nearby new town cemetery the skeleton remains were brought to this new place and the area of the former churchyard was turned into a park with a nice view of the southern part of the town. The painting on the main altar depicting St. Wenceslas and another one with St. Constantine and Method on the side alter were created by the Vienna painter Dollinger and donated by Jan Dvořáček, a native of Tišnov.